Thursday, June 15, 2006

Tom, You Never Write Me Anymore

I'm getting a bit worried about my relationship with Tom.

Tom became my friend when I joined MySpace.com. Actually, Tom works for MySpace, and everybody who joins MySpace automatically gets Tom as their friend. As a result, Tom has many, many friends -- 85,629,781, at last count. But according to MySpace, I have only one friend.

My one friend is Tom. He's all I've got.

So it would be nice to hear from him. I know how busy he is, and that he's got a lot of friends to keep track of. But I've always thought that we had something special going -- as he glanced winningly over his shoulder, alone in my otherwise cavernous, echoing, and entirely vacant Friend Space, casually attired in that clean white T-shirt, a crooked grin on his face, I sensed a bond between us. But since his initial communication, welcoming me to MySpace -- carefully phrased and discreet, I admit, but also somehow warm, and signaling a pecuilar intimacy between us -- I've heard nothing.

Mrs. Ahab tries to calm me on this, to make me take the long view. In any human relationship, she points out, the more popular of the two people involved always has the upper hand. I guess you could say I need Tom a lot more than he needs me. I even sometimes wonder if Tom would notice at all if I left MySpace tomorrow, if I suddenly disappeared from his bulging list of friends . . . No, too harsh, too harsh. We won't go there.

No, I'm not going to leave MySpace, and I certainly don't want to be a nuisance to Tom. But friendship is a two-way street. And if Tom is just going to ignore me, then by God, I'm just going to ignore him. We'll see how he likes it. Let him play with his other 85,629,780 friends.

Technorati Tags :

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home