Saturday, August 21, 2004

Morning Addendum: The Olympics

Over at Salon, King Kaufman disagrees with me on NBC's Olympics coverage. (Well -- he doesn't disagree with me personally; in all likelihood he doesn't even know I exist.) Of course, King (I can call you "King," can't I?) presumably gets paid for total immersion in the thing, including the cable feeds and daytime coverage, whereas I'm confined to the prime-time network broadcast, so he's having a very different experience. Still, he makes good points, in his usual entertaining style. (My favorite quote: "I've always suspected that in any group of 1,000 Americans who complain about U.S. Olympics coverage focusing too much on Americans, you'd be hard-pressed to find one who'll sit through a Burkina Faso-Kazakhstan judo match.")

Still, King is suspiciously silent on the beach volleyball question -- viz., whether there's been, um, too damn much coverage of this quasi-sport, which dominated the first however-many nights. Is Kaufman's silence on this pressing issue coincidence, or something more? We report, you decide. (In fairness, I seem to be about the only one outside of Britain who's bored by beach volleyball, as these recent news items attest. But that's OK -- different drummer and all that.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home